The Black Cross in the Angelic Conversations
During the angelic conversations of john Dee and edward Kelly, contrary to his habitual frustrating concision, the angel Ave (which which they were in constant communication) explains the use of the letters in the column of the Black Cross upon the Great Table in great detail to the two magicians. According to what they said, the letters of the Black Cross seem to embody the divine energy that vitalizes the lesser angels and demons, when added to their names. The rays of the Black Cross symbolize the four rivers that flows out of the throne of God in Paradise (and in New Jerusalem, wich is Paradise returned on earth). However, Ave says nothing at all about the letters in the arm of the Black Cross.
Dee was curious as to why the three geographical regions or genii of the tehnth Aether (Lexarph, Comanan, Tabitom) had been chosen to form the letters of the Black Cross. Ave refused to enlighten him:
“Dee: I think a mystery did depend upon the choice of the three names, Lexarph, Comanan, and Tabitom.
Ave: That is not to our purpose.”
Dee persists, as this matter is obviously of the greatest importance. Later in the same conversation he ask:
“Dee: Of the letter in the Transversary of the wicked their black Cross, I know use, as of motivate; nan, etc.
Ave: Thou shalt know, when thou writest thy book.”
This was just another way to throw Dee off scent and eluding the subject. According to Enochian scholar Donald Tyson, it was the prospect of obtaining command of these tutelary spirits of the kingdom of the world that was the basis of John Dee’s attraction to Enochian magic.  As we will see later on, when we are goint talk about the 91 regional spirits, the reason for this was military, Dee received this system of magic in the years just prior ton the launch of the Spanish Armada against England was looking for metaphysical way to get rid of those ships. Trying to get this crucial piece of information, Dee was very persistent. Five days later he go another chance to ask Ave the same question:
“Dee: Of the letters in the Transversary, Iwould know your will. Ave: They are, as the other but for a peculiar practice.” 
So, after all of this questioning, this is the only clue we ever going to get concerning the nature of the letters in the arms of the Black Cross, but it is a very useful hint. It seems that the letters of the arm are to be added to the subquarters of the Great Table in columns. According to Tyson, “the names extracted from the pillars of the lesser crosses would probably be divine names by which the others are invoked, reading down the pillars in the case of good angels and up would have seven letters, the names of the good angels six letters (five polus the intensifier in the arm of the lesser cross), and the names of evil angels five letters.”  The good angels of the columns may be commanded by reading the names on the arms of the associated lesser crosses from left to right, while the evil angels of the columns are commanded by reading the names on the arms of the lesser crosses from right to left.
 Casaubon, True and Faithful Relation, p.183.
 Casaubon, True and Faitful Relation, p. 184.
 Donald Tyson, Enochian Magic for Beginers, p. 152.
 Casaubon, True and Faithful Relation, p.187.
 Donald Tyson, Enochian Magic for Beginers, p. 215.
Making Pyramids of the Great Cross Squares
The 36 squares of the Great Cross of each Watchtower can be converted into pyramids. This is done for meditational purposes as well as to develop signposts for visiting in the Spirit Vision. The Great Cross consists of one row and two columns for each Watchtower. Conversion is done in accordance with the truncated pyramid model. The rules which apply are:
Triangle No. 1 = Zodiac Influences
- Triangle No. 2 = Element of Spirit
- Triangle No. 3 = Planet Influences
- Triangle No. 4 = Element of Watchtower
1. Zodiac Influences. The general rules for attributing the Zodiac signs are:
The four fixed signs are given to the row (Linea Spiritus Sancti)
- The Four cardinal signs are given to the left-hand column (left side of the Linea Dei Patris Filiique)
- The four matuable sings are given to the right-hand column (right side of the Linea Dei Patris Filiique)
- Each sign influences three adjacent squares for a total of 36 squares.
The Specific rules for Zodiacal Influences are:
Great Cross of Air.
- Row. From left to right, three squares each, are: Aquarius, Scorpio, Leo, and then Taurus.
- Left hand column. From top to bottom, three squares each, are: Libra, Cancer, Aries, and then Capricorn.
- Right hand column. From top to bottom, three squares each, are: Gemini, Pisces, Sagittarius, and then Virgo.
- Row. From left to right, three squares each, are: Scorpio, Leo, Taurus, and then Aquarius.
- Left-hand column. From top to bottom, three squares each are: Cancer, Aries, Capricorn, and then Libra.
- Right-hand column. From top to bottom, three squares each, are: Pisces, Sagittarius, Virgo and the Gemini.
- Row. From left to right, three squares each, are: Taurus, Aquarius, Scorpio, and then Leo.
- Left-hand column. From top to bottom, three squares each, are: Capricorn, Libra, Cancer, and then Aries.
- Right-hand column. From top to bottom, three squares each are: Virgo, Gemini, Pisces, and then Sagittarius.
- Row. From left to right, three squares each, are: Leo, Taurus, Aquarius, and then Scorpio.
- Left-hand column. From top to bottom, three squares each, are: Aries, Capricorn, Libra, and then Cancer.
- Right-hand column. From top to bottom, three squares each, are: Sagittarius, Virgo, Gemini, and then Pisces.
- Great Cross of Water
- Great Cross of Earth
- Great Cross of Fire
2. Spirit. The second triangle of every Great Cross is assigned the element Spirit.
3. Planet Influences. Planetary influences are obtained from occult correspondences between the seven sacred planets and the Decans of trhe Zodiac, These are as follows:
Row, from left to right.
- Leo=Saturn, then Jupiter, and then Mars
- Scorpio=Mars, then Sun, and then Venus
- Aquarius=Venus, then Mercury and then Moon
- Taurus=mercury, then Sun, and then Venus
- Aries=Mars, then Sun, and then Venus
- Capricorn=Jupiter, then Mars, and then Sun
- Libra= Moon, then Saturn, and then Jupiter
- Cancer=Venus, then Mercury, and then Moon
- Gemini=Jupiter, then Mars, and then Sun
- Pisces=Saturn, then Jupiter, and then Mars
- Sagittarius=Mercury, then Moon, and then Saturn
- Virgo=Sun, then Venus, and then Mercury
- Left-hand column.
- Right-hand column.
4.The Fourth triangle of each pyramid of every Great Cross is assigned the element of the Watchtower.
Zodicac Influences. These triangles (No. 1) are colored according to type as:
- Fiery Signs (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius) are red
- Watery Signs (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces) are blue
- Airy Signs (Gemini, Libra, Aquarius) are yellow
- Earthy Signs (Taurus, Virgo, Caprocorn) are black
- Spirit. All Spirit triangles (No. 2) are white
Planet influences. These triangles (No. 3) are colored as:
- Sun and Jupiter are red (Fire)
- Saturn and Mercury are yellow (Air)
- Venus and Moon are black (Earth)
- Mars is blue (Water)
- Watchtower. These triangles (No. 4) are colored according to the standard Watchtower
- Air = Yellow
- Water = Blue
- Earth = Black
- Fire = Red
Example No. 1
- The square “I” which is the fourth square from the left along the Linea Spiritus Sancti in the Great Watchtower of Air
- Triangle No. 1 = Scorpio, blue (watery)
- Triangle No. 2 = Spirit, white
- Triangle No. 3 = Mars, blue, watery
- Triangle No. 4 = Air, yellow
Example No. 2.
- The square “O” which is the second square from the top along the left side of the Linea Dei Patris Filiique in the Great Watchtower of Water
- Triangle No. 1 = Cancer, blue (watery)
- Triangle No. 2 = Spirit, white
- Triangle No. 3 = Mercury, yellow (airy)
- Triangle No. 4 = Water, blue
Example No. 3.
- The square “A” which is the seventh square from the left along the Linea Spiritus Sancti in the Great Watchtower of Fire.
- Triangle No. 1 = Aquarius, yellow (airy)
- Triangle No. 2 = Spirit, white
- Triangle No. 3 = Venus, black (earthy)
- Triangle No. 4 = Fire, red